Tuesday 13 March 2012

It's over - The end of an era

Hello all

It's the end of a very small era as something I love has come to an end. Some of you may think that I am refering to a friendship, and in a way I am. Several months ago I was in a conversation with one of my North American friends and they changed my life when they introduced me to RadioLab.

I have mentioned RadioLab several times in the past and my love for the shows. The semi-regular podcast was introduced to me in November by my good friend Megan, and I was hooked instantly. Although I only started listening to the new ones, I eventually backtracked all the way to the beginning and as of 3pm on March 13th 2012, I have now listened to every single RadioLab show.


Some of you may been reading this with a bizarre look on your face, but I like stuff that makes me think and challenges me to new levels of knowledge, and that's what RadioLab has done. There were some largely forgetable shows, but there were also some stories that have stuck in my head, such as the foxes from the "New Normal" show, the story of a compulsive liar in "Deception" and the basketball team that won with only two players on the court in "Sports".


Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich
Hosts of RadioLab

I can not recommend RadioLab highly enough. It is the BEST radio podcast going, and given some of the others around, that is saying something.

I love RadioLab to the extent that I recently applied for a job there. I didn't even get an interview, I suspect because I'm British and they are based in New York and there would have been VISA/work permit issues, but I'm not disheartened because whilst I might not get to experience their genius in person, for 15 minutes to 75 minutes every few weeks, I can sit here listening to the new shows that they bring out.

It just feels strange that I have now listened to all the shows they have released to date. And that is the end of an era.....sort of.

RadioLab can be downloaded from iTunes.


No comments:

Post a Comment